Information for passengers who use electric scooters (e-scooters)
Carriage of e-scooters in local rail passenger transport (Suburban train, local train and local express)
E-scooters can be transported by rail (without underground train and tram) in RMV under the following conditions:
- Transportation is possible in the multi-functional compartment, but is limited by the capacity of the vehicle used.
- The total weight must not exceed the load capacity of the boarding aid. As a rule, the limit lies between 300 to 350 kg. In the trains of the Vias (Odenwaldbahn between Frankfurt and Eberbach and Rheingaulinie between Frankfurt and Neuwied) the maximum load capacity of the boarding aid is 250 kg.
- If the dimensions of the e-scooter exceed 120 x 70 cm (L x W), carriage may be refused.
- The customer is responsible for the use of the scooter.
In order to allow e-scooters to be carried on scheduled buses, the State of Hessen has adopted a decree, in line with the timing and wording of all other federal states, which sets out the minimum technical requirements for e-scooters, vehicles and users that will enable safe transport.
The same conditions that apply to transport by bus, are also required by the RMV for transport by tram and underground train.
In order to provide drivers with a reliable means of orientation, the suitability of the e-scooter must be made immediately visible by applying a standardised sticker in the form of the pictogram shown above. A sticker is also affixed to suitable buses, underground trains and trams to indicate the suitability of the vehicle for the safe transport of electric scooters.
If the pictograms on the bus and electric scooters are not yet available, the requirements for electric scooters and their users according to the decree of the Hessian Ministry of Economics, Energy, Transport and Regional Development will be applicable:
- The total length of the electric scooter is no more than 120 cm.
- The electric scooter has four wheels.
- The weight of the electric scooter with a person sitting on it does not exceed 300 kg.
- The operating instructions for the electric scooter must specify its basic suitability for transport in public transport.
- A brake system that always acts on both wheels of an axle together and cannot be bridged by a differential (e.g. separate parking brake).
- Sufficient ground clearance and climbing ability of the electric scooter to be able to enter and leave the bus via a ramp inclined at a maximum of 12 %, without hitting the ground plate at the transition from the ramp to the vehicle.
- The electric scooter user must be able to drive backwards into the bus on his or her own.
- The electric scooter must not have any additional attachments that restrict its rearward positioning on the wheelchair space
- The entrainment regulation applies primarily to severely handicapped persons whose classification mark is at least "G" and secondarily in the event that the costs of the electric scooter are covered by health insurance. These documents are to be carried along and presented to the driving personnel for inspection upon request.
- The electric scooter's suitability for transport must also be demonstrated to the driving personnel for inspection by submitting suitable documentation from the manufacturer on request. The obligation to carry does not apply if the installation site for the electric scooter is already occupied by other passengers (with wheelchair, other electric scooters, prams or generally by a fully occupied bus).
Carriage information for (electric) wheelchairs and e-scooters in Frankfurt am Main
Brochure, As on: July 2019
(only in German)