You will find at least one ticket vending machine at all stations for regional transport as well as at S-Bahn (suburban train) and U-Bahn (underground train) stations. There are also ticket vending machines at the major bus and tram transfer points. If there is no vending machine at a bus stop, passengers can also buy a ticket on the bus.
In the area covered by RMV, there are different types of ticket machines that are operated by various transport companies as RMV sales partners. In order to make it easy for you to use the machines, we have introduced a standard operating procedure wherever possible.
The graphic shows an RMV ticket machine with explanations.
It is mint-coloured with a blue vertical strip in the middle, the RMV logo is displayed in the upper part. Above this is a light mount containing a display with dynamic customer information (subject to location). Below the RMV logo, “Fahrkarten” is written in large font.
On the left at centre height is the touch display, at the bottom of the screen there is the foreign language selection bar (D, GB, F, I, E, TR). The dispenser tray (paper tickets, coins and receipts) is located below the screen.
In the central, vertical blue strip, at the very top, level with the edge of the screen, is the coin slot for cent coins in denominations of 5, 10, 20 and 50 cents as well as for one and two euro coins. Below this is the contact surface (reader) for the eTicket RheinMain.
On the right-hand side, level with the writing “Fahrkarten”, there is a field which contains a contact person and a telephone number in the case of a technical malfunction. Below this is the terminal for cashless payment transactions with girocard, VisaCard or MasterCard.
It contains a keypad at the top, a contact surface for contactless card payments underneath and a card reader at the bottom into which cards can be inserted.
There are two slots located below the payment terminal. The upper slot is used for cash payments and accepts banknotes in denominations of 5, 10, 20, 50 and 100 euros; the lower slot is the banknote dispenser.
All RMV ticket machines are equipped with an eTicket terminal. For more information, see below under Cashless eTicket Purchase.
VGFticket vending machines
A total of 600 ticket vending machines are operated in the Frankfurt city area by Verkehrsgesellschaft Frankfurt. They are located at all underground train stations, tram stops and selected bus stops.
Here are the generally accepted modes of payment:
- Coin money
- Girocard (EC card) or credit card (VisaCard, MasterCard and AmericanExpress)
Contactless payment option is also available, subject to the stored mode of payment, along with Google Pay or Apple Pay. This means that single and day tickets can also be purchased without entering a PIN. In the case of cash payment, the change can also be issued in notes.
You can normally obtain the following from RMV ticket machines:
- Single tickets
- Short hop tickets (if purchasable)
- Day tickets
- Group day tickets
- Supplementary tickets
- Onward travel tickets
- Tickets valid for local travel
- Weekly and monthly tickets for adults
- Weekly and monthly tickets for schoolchildren and apprentices
Simply follow the instructions on the user screen:
- The vending machine only sells tickets for local services (RMV, RMV transition tariff and selected destinations beyond). Long-distance tickets (ICE, IC/EC) cannot be purchased.
- You have several options for selecting tickets. You can:
- use one of the abbreviated dialling keys
- enter or select the destination
- enter the two or four-digit destination code
- After entering the destination for your journey, select the type of ticket you require.
- Where alternative routes are available through different fare zones, please select your preferred route.
- First check the information displayed on the screen and then pay the amount displayed.
- Please take your ticket and if required, your change from the change tray.
By simply touching the screen, you can set the operating instructions on the screen to various languages (English, French, Italian, Spanish and Turkish).
As a rule, coins and banknotes are accepted as means of payment. Any cashless payment options will also be displayed on the screen.
All vending machines accept the following means of payment:
- Coins and banknotes (change is also given in notes).
- Bank/credit cards (girocard, VisaCard, MasterCard, American Express), contactless payment is also possible.
- Contactless payment with Google Pay or Apple Pay are possible.
If the vending machine offers other cashless payment options, this will be indicated on the respective screen.
Cashless eTicket purchase
In order to make cashless eTicket purchases even easier, all of the RMV ticket machines on the regional train routes are equipped with a separate contactless eTicket read and write terminal, in addition to the payment terminal. This has the advantage that you just have to place the eTicket chip card on the corresponding terminal once and it remains there until the purchase process and the transfer of the eTicket to the chip card is complete. The payment terminal is only used for cashless payment.
We will show you how the new purchase process is carried out in the following film.
Audio: Dynamic background with electronic music
Start screen: Graphic of RMV ticket machine in front of light blue background
Text: Make contactless purchase of season tickets! The RMV chip card - convenient & simple. This is how
- Zoom on ticket machine with enlargement of the machine screen
Text: Step 1 of 5: Selecting a destination
- Animation: Coloured dot appears on the “Enter place name” input field
- Display of the screen with keyboard, the letters "F" and "R" are entered, a coloured dot above "Frankfurt am Main" appears
- Display of the screen with input assistance from preselected destinations that match the keyboard input
Text: Step 2 of 5: Tickets and day of validity
- Display of the screen: Input field: “Please select your ticket type” (all ticket types are displayed for selection).
- Display of the screen: “Please select the first day of validity” (a calendar is displayed for selection).
Text: Step 3 of 5: Placing the “eTicket RheinMain” RMV chip card (or simply RMV eTicket chip card)
- Display of the screen with graphic of the eTicket card reader symbol: “Please place your chip card on the card reader. This is located on the blue strip to the right of the touch display. Subsequently, the payment is started”
- Fade-in: eTicket RheinMain is placed on card reader
- Display of the screen: “Your chip card is being read and updated. Please leave your chip card on the card reader.”
Text: Step 4 of 5: Place or insert the payment card
- Display of the screen: “Please check your details and pay the amount shown.”
- Stylised bank card is placed on the payment field of the payment card terminal
- Display on the screen of the payment card terminal: “Card is being checked. Please wait”. Green tick appears
Text: Step 5 of 5: eTicket is transferred
- Display of the screen: “One moment please. Your eTicket is saved on the chip card. Please leave your chip card on the card reader. Payment has been made. eTicket data will be saved.” Green tick appears.
- Display of the screen: “Your eTicket has been saved on the chip card”. If desired, a receipt can be printed.
- The eTicket and bank card are taken from the machine’s fields.
End of the video and fade out
If there is no other option for purchasing tickets at the station or the stop (i.e. if there are no other ticket machines or a sales window), you will have to buy a ticket on board the service, if possible. This does not present a problem for bus journeys. On rail journeys, please inform the station/train staff and/or the conductor immediately that the machine is out of order.
Please note: Make a note of the machine number and the transport company responsible. You can obtain both details on the front of the ticket machine.
- To report a Transdev machine that is out of order, please contact the Transdev hotline at automat-rmvtransdevde or call (0395) 4 30 84-17.
- If a fault occurs when you are operating a VGF ticket vending machine, there is an option to register your complaint online.
- To report a DB machine that is out of order, please contact automatenmeldungdeutschebahncom.